[labnetwork] Sputtering Problems

Neil Peters npeters at email.sjsu.edu
Wed Apr 23 16:06:45 EDT 2008

Hi

We are having trouble with our Denton Sputter System.  In the past, we were
able to use it to sputter metals, Silicon, SiO2, Cu, Nickel and Chromium.
Currently, we are unable to sputter anything using our DC power supply.  The
voltage sits around 500V, but no current, and it does not create a plasma,
using an Aluminum target.  In addition, we have melted the insulator rings,
had them rebuilt and then melted them a second time once they were returned.
We are beating our heads against the wall with this problem.  Since the guns
have been rebuilt, we have noticed a higher reflected power for RF (~10-12%
for copper targets) and the deposition rate for Silicon has gone way down.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Neil

Neil Peters
Process Lab Engineer
Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering
http://www.engr.sjsu.edu/cme
San Jose State University              voice:  (408) 924-3967
One Washington Square                  fax:    (408) 924-4057
San Jose, CA 95192-0082
E-mail: npeters at email.sjsu.edu