[labnetwork] UGIM update

Weaver, John R jrweaver at purdue.edu
Thu Aug 14 09:05:08 EDT 2008

I would like to echo Katalin's praise for the UGIM.  I did not know
about this meeting until this year, and was very impressed.  I had to
miss the Sunday sessions due to a prior commitment, and feel that I
missed a lot.  Fortunately, Tim Sands was there and filled me in on
several key topics.
I'm excited to be the host of the next meeting.  I hope that we can live
up to the standard set by the UofL team!
I have a question for the group. As I'm beginning the planning for the
2010 conference, I have received input that we might want to expand the
Lab Managers' Preconference to a full-day  conference session.  This
full-day session would include two presentation/roundtable sessions, one
on lab management and one on lab financing/recharge.  These would be
followed by in-depth tours of the Birck Nanotechnology Center and its
infrastructure.  If we expanded this to an all-day session, it would
seem logical to begin it Monday morning, thus pushing the rest of the
conference back one day.  While this is a decision for the UGIM Steering
Committee, I think it would be good to hear the thoughts of the rest of
the group on this issue.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions,
John Weaver