[labnetwork] Compressed Air??

David Frankel frankel at maine.edu
Tue Aug 26 10:14:31 EDT 2008

I have a compressed air problem and am looking for suggestions:

We have a 7.5hp dry piston air compressor supplying our modest (around 3000
sq. ft.) clean room and a number of other non-clean room research labs.
Presently our average steady usage is around 8 cfm of compressed air.  Our
air compressor has become unreliable and I am looking into alternatives.
Previously we had a smaller dry scroll compressor which did not stand up to
heavy use.

Does anyone have experience with using an oil-lubricated air compressor with
filters to reduce hydrocarbon carryover?  Does that work or is an
oil-lubricated compressor a bad idea?

Any recommendations on reliable oil-less air compressors in the 7.5-10 hp
(around 30 cfm ) range?

Thanks,

David

David J. Frankel, Senior Research Scientist

Laboratory for Surface Science & Technology

University of Maine

5708 Barrows/ESRB

Orono, ME 04469

207-581-2256