[labnetwork] how-to retain knowledge

Schroeder, Jeremy L jlschroe at purdue.edu
Mon Aug 23 12:07:26 EDT 2010

Matthieu,

I don't have the answer, but I can briefly comment on the first question (i.e. retaining knowledge from fab members).

We have discussed this issue at Purdue's Birck Nanotechnology Center and we thought about developing an online knowledge database. However, the key is getting members to actually write down their know-how since people are often not interested in doing additional work that does not clearly benefit them. Not only that, even if members write down their information, it has to be written in a clearly understood format and someone else should check the information to ensure that it is accurate.

In order to get this to work, I think you need a staff member partly devoted to the project. The staff member can ask students for specific information and then create standard-format documents from this information.

Jeremy