[labnetwork] how-to retain knowledge

Vicky Diadiuk diadiuk at MIT.EDU
Tue Aug 24 10:49:53 EDT 2010

Hi,
  This is a perennial question that we've tried unsuccessfully to
approach really formally (we started a process library database,
searchable by material, process, etc) & the problem is that the person
inputting the data doesn't benefit from it, so it doesn't work well.
We haven't completely given up, & we have a Wiki site into which users
can upload their processes - some do.... some actually look at it once
in a while.

What we are doing, that sort of works, is  maintain electronic
versions of each process that gets submitted for approval & we are
insisting on fairly descriptive titles.
The cumulative memory of the Process Technology Committe & the
fabstaff is the most useful tool, though.

Vicky