[labnetwork] Help ... Please !!! ... our safety guys have not clue about gas cabinets ...

Gregg Cure gregg.cure at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 16:49:21 EST 2010

Hi Leo -

We have older Air Products GG450 cabs (circa 1993), running DCS, SiH4 and
15% PH3/balance SiH4. We have the safe safety infrastructure in place as you
do, plus global SiH4 detection. We leave the bottles open at the bottle
valves all the time, but the cabinets are safed. We usually perform a line
purge prior to a facility shutdown but that's about it.

You certainly can close the bottle valves at the pigtails, but it's really
not necessary.

Regards,
Gregg Cure

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 1:45 PM, Leonidas E Ocola <ocola at anl.gov> wrote:

> All,
>
> Can anyone tell me if you shut the valves of the gas bottles in your
> cleanroom
> during winter break ? Our safety guys are under the impression that it is
> hazardous to leave them open. They will only listen to me that they are
> wrong
> if other labs leave them as is.
>
> (We have gas cabinets with gas alarms, shutoff valves, manifolds, etc. They
> are hooked up to our RIE tool with 12 sticks for different gases)
>
> I do not want to shut all the gas bottles for winter break because I
> believe it is
> unnecessary and in some cases could introduce air bubbles into the line
> which could affect my RIE recipes if I do not flush the line.
>
> If you can reply within the next few hours I would appreciate it.
>
> Thanks
>
> Leo
>
> --
> Leonidas E. Ocola, PhD