[labnetwork] System backups

George P. Watson gwatson at princeton.edu
Thu Oct 7 14:23:41 EDT 2010

Hi Keith,

We have the same problem, including a computer running OS/2 and one
running Windows 3.11.  We recently asked our information technology
department to help backup the drives of our older computers.  They
recommended that besides keeping a copy of each disk on a server, that
we configure new harddrives with the disk images (Some of the drives may
be hard to find in the future).  We  are installing the new drives in
our tools and keeping the original drives as backups, just in case.  We
have to shut down the tools and pull the drives out, about a one day
turn-around.  Take good photos if they are hard-to-access industrial
computers with lots of I/O connections.

George Patrick Watson (Pat)

Princeton