[labnetwork] 24/7 operations

Hughes, John S hughes at illinois.edu
Wed Jun 1 14:23:59 EDT 2011

Hi Ian,

We only use one undergrad buddy per shift. Even though they have tasks they need to perform in the cleanrooms, they, like everyone else, are not allowed in the cleanrooms alone, so if all the researchers leave when they're in there, they've got to go out as well. Fortunately, there is almost always some research activity in the labs from 5-10pm, so it's not usually an issue. That said, they're advised to get their assigned tasks out of the way as soon as possible. (The amount of time it takes for them to do their tasks rarely would take more than two hours.)

Since the lab buddy office cubicle for the undergrads is right across from the cleanroom entry, they can easily see and hear when someone goes in and out of the lab. They are supposed to always be monitoring who's in the lab no matter where they are, so if they're in their office and someone comes to the lab when no one else is in there, they will have to go in with them. Similarly, if someone leaves the lab so that only one person remains, they will need to gown up and go on in to join them.

We do not have any differential pay grades. The undergrad buddies don't work during the normal day shift (M-F; 7:30am-5:00pm). During those times there are always full-time staff around. This is considered the safest time to do any processing, even if there isn't a staff person right in the cleanrooms.

Managing the students has always been a bit of a problem, mainly because their work is not usually supervised directly. As with any group of employees, some do a better job than others. It's important to have very specific tasks for them to do, and if possible, a rigid schedule for each task. It also helps if they can stay at the job for a while. There's always a glut of applicants for the lab buddy jobs, so I'm usually able to select those that at least claim they'll be willing to work for 3-4 semesters.

I have managed to get the undergrad hires to work together to set their own schedules, making sure they understand how important it is that all the scheduled hours get covered. This has worked very well, in that it saves a lot of management time. There is obviously more of a problem during holiday periods and semester breaks, but there usually seems to be at least one guy who doesn't mind loading up on hours to earn some extra money. (The undergrads are limited to no more than 20 hours/week if classes are in session, but can go up to 40 hours/week during holiday/semester breaks. Also, we have a relatively high percentage of foreign students, and many of them don't go home over breaks.)

Occasionally there may be a work shift that, for whatever reason, doesn't get covered. In that case we send out a mass-mail to all cleanroom users letting them know that they will be responsible for providing their own buddy if they choose to work during those hours.

Best regards,
John

John S. Hughes                         Office: (217) 333-4674
Associate Director                        FAX: (217) 244-6375
Laboratory Operations                     hughes at illinois.edu<mailto:hughes at illinois.edu>
Micro and Nanotechnology Laboratory
3114 Micro and Nanotechnology Laboratory
208 North Wright Street
Urbana, Illinois  61801              http://mntl.illinois.edu