[labnetwork] 24/7 operations

Luciani, Vincent vincent.luciani at nist.gov
Tue May 31 09:29:28 EDT 2011

Hello Matt,

Here at the CNST NanoFab (http://www.nist.gov/cnst/index.cfm), we are staffed from 7 AM to midnight,  M-F.  We use card key access control system and Coral.  All users are locked out after hours and we program their afterhours access into the system after their request for after hours access is approved.

*         Advance notification, the day before is fine.  That way we can avoid any tool repair or facilities conflicts. The advance notification also helps me help others to find a buddy if needed.

o   A loose, casual buddy agreement between users, leading to one user leaving before another or one working in their office while the other was in the lab was a common failure mode at first. So, we require verbal or email confirmation from both people that they are committed to being each other's buddy at all times.

*         Once approved, they can use all tools/processes.

*         We use deterrence to discourage cheating, because it will happen.  I randomly check Coral records and our CCTV video tapes and suspend/revoke cleanroom privileges for violators (from a 2 week suspension to full revocation depending on the degree of fraud/abuse).  Word travels fast when this happens and is a strong deterrent.

*         Some tools outside the cleanroom, like the FIB or AFM, can be used without a buddy after I confirm with whoever trained them that they have the required proficiency.

*         The NanoFab staff is notified automatically via Blackberry about any gas or fire alarm 24/7.

Let me know how it goes for you.

Vince

Vincent K. Luciani
NanoFab Manager
Center for Nanoscale Science and Technology<http://www.cnst.nist.gov/>
100 Bureau Drive, MS 6201
Gaithersburg, MD 20899-6200 USA
+1-301-975-2886
[cid:image002.jpg at 01CC1F75.502F8CF0]

Dear lab managers,

We are in the process of planning a transition to 24/7 operations for our fab. I would appreciate if some of you could share their experience and give advice on must-do's and must-not-do's regarding 24/7 operations. How do you manage staff ? any restriction in processes ? How do you re-inforce the buddy system ? Buddy system at all times or only for specific processes ? Any specific training for users willing to work overnight ?

Thanks in advance for your valuable insights.

Matthieu Nannini

McGill Nanotools Microfab

Manager

t: 514 398 3310