[labnetwork] 24/7 operations

Morrison, Richard H., Jr. rmorrison at draper.com
Tue May 31 12:07:11 EDT 2011

Hi,

I am new to this forum, my name is Rick Morrison and I am the Fab
manager at Charles Stark Draper Laboratory in Cambridge. Here are Draper
we allow access 24/7, the lab has a card lock, requiring badge access
which we control. Our rules are the buddy system after regular hours
(6am to 7pm). We do not have Coral or cameras setup to keep users
honest, but I do like the discussion around video cameras. Sometimes we
have strange things happen in the evening hours.

The lab uses some toxic gases and our monitors are always on. Security
does walk through of the building every hour and any alarms are reported
to the security desk, the desk notifies the facility group and they
respond and report any issues. Draper also has an ERT, but they are only
active during work hours, otherwise the guard desk is called and they
summon the EHS director and any other needed outside personnel.

Short of cameras I do not know how to enforce the buddy system, here at
Draper the card lock is monitored in the security office so I can track
access that way, however we do not require users to badge.

Thanks
Rick

Rick Morrison
Senior Member Technical  Staff