[labnetwork] Air Compressor for Grade 1.1.1 Air

Kuhn, Jeffrey G kuhn1 at purdue.edu
Mon Oct 24 14:10:53 EDT 2011

Hello All,

We are planning to purchase a backup air compressor to produce electronics grade air (Grade 1.1.1) for our cleanroom and laboratories here Birck. I am able to source an oil-flooded compressor for about 1/3 the cost of an oil free unit. In order to protect the cleanroom from hydrocarbons, we would need to install a series of particulate filters, separators, oil mist filters, and vapor adsorbers after the compressor. However, it appears we can achieve the air quality we need and still realize a lower system installation cost with an oil-flooded compressor versus an oil-free unit.

Our current air compressor is oil-free and I have little experience with oil-flooded designs. Do any of your facilities use an oil-flooded compressor for Grade 1.1.1 air, and if so what have your experiences been? I'd be interested in learning about filter change frequencies, annual maintenance costs (vs. oil-free), and of course whether there have been any unexpected contamination issues caused directly or indirectly by an oil-flooded compressor (hopefully the latter has not happened).

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Jeff Kuhn
Facility Engineer
Birck Nanotechnology Center