[labnetwork] Face Velocity for Wet benches/Fume hoods?

Bill Flounders bill at eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Apr 5 21:22:40 EDT 2012

Mac,
Our EH&S treats our wet benches as  fume hoods
and requires face velocity of at least 100 feet per minute.
100 - 150 fpm is considered satisfactory.

Several groups have been pushing for improved hood design
to bring air flow requirements down to 60fpm.
Lawrence Berkeley Lab has an extensive program in this area:
http://ateam.lbl.gov/hightech/fumehood/fhood.html
A summary report  of "The Berkeley Hood" (not hoodie) is here:
http://ateam.lbl.gov/hightech/fumehood/Publications.html

Bottom Line - with improved hood design you can definitely
decrease exhaust requirements and achieve significant savings.
But it would not be prudent to just decrease the face velocity
requirement and use that new lower standard with legacy equipment.
If a new (decreased)  standard is defined it will only apply to
new equipment that meets a specific design requirement.

Bill Flounders
UC Berkeley NanoLab