[labnetwork] Silicon Nitride question

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Thu Apr 12 12:00:17 EDT 2012

Rick:

To add our practices at Stanford to the discussion ...

1. Our newer, higher quality system has heated line between tube and
pump as well as an inline mesh filter before the pump.

2. Our older system actually only has a filter on the exhaust side of
the pump.  That is primarily to help avoid buildup in the exhaust line.
Our exhaust line is actually too small ... 1" OD ... so occlusion of the
exhaust line can be a problem.

We have some form of abatement on each system .... in fact all of our
LPCVD either runs to an old Innovative Engineering/Delatech CDO unit
running at 800 C or to a Pure Air EDOC (Dynamic Oxidation Chamber) to
treat exhaust gases. The output of either the CDO or EDOC then goes to
our building-wide water scrubber .... that will remove the HCl and
ammonia products from the nitride process.

Note: I believe that just about all nitride LPCVD processes will have
significant fractions of unreacted DCS coming out the end of the tube.
That is particularly true if you are running hgh DCS flows, which is
often the case if you are trying to produce a silicon-rich, low-stress
nitride film.  So, even though we don't use production volumes of gas,
we still believe in abatement on all LPCVD tubes.

Good luck,

John