[labnetwork] staffing

Fouad Karouta fouad.karouta at anu.edu.au
Tue Aug 21 19:22:48 EDT 2012

Hi Thomas,

The question depends how the lab is organised and kind and number of
equipment. I don't understand the relation of the HVAC staff (how many?) to
the lab management.

To my opinion only two staff for 4200sqf lab is by far not sufficient. At
ANU we have about 1200sqf labs with 7 major equipment and a few small
equipment and the staffing is:

I'm not including facilities support staff, i.e. HVAC, electrical etc. This
is dedicated clean room staff to train users and maintain equipment.

I have the impression your facility is oppositely organized than the Marvel
Nanolab with equipment owner/responsible at your lab who report to their own
professor.

Staffing Survey

Input

Comment

University

ANFF ACT Node (ANU)

Labs Square Footage

1200

600 sqf is CR 1000

Management

1 fte

Engineers

3.5 fte

IT Staff

0

Gets school support when needed

Technicians

1 fte

Admin

0.5 fte

Kind regards,

Fouad Karouta

Facility Manager ANFF ACT Node

Research School of Physics and Engineering

Australian National University

ACT 0200, Canberra, Australia

Tel: + 61 2 6125 7174

Mob: + 61 451 046 412