[labnetwork] chemical resistant gloves used with HF

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Thu Aug 23 11:15:41 EDT 2012

Iulian:

We are using MAPA Advantech Trionic E-194 gloves (available from VWR and
a number of the PPE providers) for all of our acid needs.  They are a
mix of natural rubber, neoprene and nitrile blend.  In terms of acid
resistance they are rated (on the MAPA site www.mapaglove.com) as a "5"
for concentrated HF, buffered oxide etch, sulfuric acid, phosphoric
acid, 30% H2O2, nitric acid, hydrochloric acid.  On their rating scale,
a 5 means that they recommend changing the gloves after 301-480 minutes
of exposure to the chemical.  Hopefully, our lab members don't have
their gloved hands sitting in vats of acid ...  Of course, just sitting
around, these gloves will eventually dry out and begin to crack.

Our lab members are trained (and we hope that they follow through) to
capture some air in the glove by squeezing the cuff to make sure that
there are no pin holes or leaks ... and to discard the gloves when they
find a problem rather than putting them back on the carts.  They should
be doing that before every use ...

We also provide shared use gloves at every acid station in a variety of
sizes but also invite folks to get and maintain their own gloves if they
prefer to have better knowledge of the history of the gloves that they
use.  Whether they select to use the shared gloves or have their own
pair is up to them ... but there is no charge for gloves if they want to
get and use their private pair out of our stockroom.

Because these gloves contain natural rubber, folks with latex allergies
may have problems.  However, in general, folks would be wearing these
gloves over the top of a lightweight inner glove.  We provide inner
gloves in either latex or vinyl. I have never heard of a person having a
latex-related problem with these gloves because anyone with a latex
allergy will choose to use vinyl liner gloves.

I hope this helps.  As usual, I'll be interested in reading all of the
other reports that you get in response to this question as there are
always a good number of thoughtful responses on this list.

Good luck,

John