[labnetwork] duct material for pyrophorics

Paolini, Steven spaolini at cns.fas.harvard.edu
Tue Jan 31 16:33:39 EST 2012

Iulian,
 The Teflon coated ducts are designed for acid/base exhaust. The product was developed as a zero flame spread material to replace plastic and is required by major insurance underwriters. This duct material is referred to as PSP and it is made of stainless steel with a Teflon coated interior to resist the corrosion from strong acids. PSP is notoriously expensive and cannot be reworked in the field, therefore the measurements need to be accurate before fabricating.  Any metal exhaust can be used for pyrophorics if local and state ordinances are adhered to. I suspect that the downstream exhaust is PSP and the proposal is to maintain the integrity of the system. We here at Harvard use PSP materials for any modification or new addition to acid exhaust applications for that reason.
Generally, galvanized metal is used for pyrophoric gas cabinet exhaust and because we don't consider these gases acidic by nature, we use an exhaust system that is isolated from our acid/base exhaust.
Regards,
    Steve Paolini