[labnetwork] Turbo Pump for STS DRIE, Leybold MAG 900

Aebersold,Julia Weyer julia.aebersold at louisville.edu
Fri Jun 22 12:08:17 EDT 2012

We have experienced a failure of our turbo pump for our STS DRIE system (sigh).  Our turbo pump is fairly old and was new in 2001, but has not been run constantly.  I have been talking with STS and they have suggested the upgrade to the Leybold MAG1500, but has quite a significant cost. I wanted to tap into our group to find out whom else has encountered such a problem and if they were able to just replace the MAG 900 with a refurb unit or if they bit the bullet and did the upgrade.  If you purchased a refurb unit please also include the vendor you used.

I also found out that the heater tape to keep the SF6 residue from condensing hasn't functioned for a majority of years of service.  While this is being remedied I wanted to also find out what PM items and schedules you perform at your facility to keep such a catastrophic failure from happening. I am also wondering if this is the normal life expectancy of a turbo pump.

I welcome your comments.

Cheers!

Julia Aebersold, Ph.D.
MNTC Cleanroom Manager