[labnetwork] Anneal temp for aluminum on silicon with forming gas

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Tue Nov 13 20:08:39 EST 2012

Julia:

Fouad is correct that things like epitaxial reactors and MOCVD equipment
run pure hydrogen at high temperatures.  They also have careful pre- and
post-run purging to remove residual air before hydrogen is introduced
and typically also have some form of hydrogen burning/scrubbing at the
exhaust end.  In short, epi reactors and MOCVD systems go to great
lengths to make sure that oxygen and hydrogen NEVER mix at high
temperatures.  I certainly wouldn't want to be in the room if you tried
to run pure hydrogen at 800 C in a typical horizontal annealing
furnace.  I suspect that Fouad would agree that this would be a very bad
idea.  Long ago, when running an oxidation furnace with a hydrogen torch
to generate steam, I learned why you want to make sure that the ratio of
hydrogen to oxygen is safely less than 2.0: I turned a cassette of
wafers into fine glitter all over the laboratory floor.

But, back to the issue of forming gas anneals:

For a comparatively open forming gas anneal setup, I believe that your
numbers of 5% forming gas at 400 C or slightly higher are right in the
proper ball park.  I'll be surprised if others aren't very close to this
range in their own usage.

We at Stanford run 4% forming gas and the great majority of our lab
members likely do their annealing at either 400 or 450 C typically for
about 30 minutes.  The furnace used for this typically idles close to
400 C so there isn't  too much of a ramp up/down even if the actual
anneal will be at 450 C.

At 450 you probably get slightly better annealing of interface traps
than you would at 400 C ... but you can also see more in the way of
hillock formation if you have aluminum or aluminum-alloy metalization on
your wafers.

Good luck,

John