[labnetwork] Requesting expertise/ experience with Scrubber by-products in Fab.

Rizik rizik at intengr.com
Mon Nov 26 18:48:18 EST 2012

Hi Jeff,

Excellent analysis. Our company's (IES) standard scrubbed exhaust system
design is to provide  not only caustic injection controlled by a pH probe &
Controller but a Conductivity meter to monitor water conductivity which
opens a purge solenoid valve to allow releasing about 5 gpm of scrubber
water, which will be replenished when the float valve drops below the high
limit or in the case of a controlled makeup water, when the LIT senses a
drop in water level, then a 2" control valve would open to replenish the
discharged water fast enough to prevent a vortex from forming and cavitating
the pumps. In addition, in a lot of cases we introduce a biocide injection
system to keep bacteria in check. In the old days when I used to work as a
Semiconductor Facility Engineer, we used to shock each scrubber with a
gallon or two of bleach. I agree with you that NOT ADDING FRESH water period
will increase the cycles of concentration and therefore TDS concentration.

We recommend the following:

1.       Add an automatic purge system using a conductivity monitor and
controller

2.      Add a continuous SOFT water makeup of about 1 to 2 gpm.

3.      Add an automatic biocide injection system

4.      Provide semiannual basin cleaning using a wet vac / Pool vacuum
cleaner

Then, enjoy a nice running scrubber.

Take care,

Rizik Michael, PE