[labnetwork] Steam Humidifier system question

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Fri Sep 14 19:15:56 EDT 2012

Rick and the labnetwork community:

Our facility (Stanford Nanofabrication Facility) uses DI water off our
main DI system for humidity injection/control in the lithography portion
of our cleanroom.  While I'm not an authority on that sub-system, I'll
share with you what I know, what I like, and what I don't like about
that system.

I believe that we have a total of 3 humidifier units that are model STS
Humidifier made by the Dri Steem Company.   They use campus-wide steam
to provide the heat source and DI from our lab to be the source of
moisture.  We have run two DI supply/return loops (one on each side of
the cleanroom) up into the interstitial space above the clean room to
provide a DI source up there.  Those lines are run in welded 1/2" PVDF
lines and have a small valve and 1/4" teflon line that runs from the
distribution system to each humidifier.

While I don't know the flow through the 1/2" distribution lines, I
suspect that it falls below the generally accepted minimum velocity
specs for high-quality DI distribution.  While that is something of a
concern, our DI system is old enough that this is not the only place
where that happens so I don't lose sleep over it.

What is the flow that we use for steam generation ... that is, how much
is actually extracted from those loops?  I don't know, but it's likely a
piddly little amount.  Well less than 1/2 GPM, I suspect ...

As far as returning it to the main system, however, I think that DI is
like chewing gum: it's OK to let someone have some, but you DON'T want
it back when they are done with it.  Even at 1/2 GPM, I'd likely be
inclined to dispose of that water rather than try to re-use it.
Certainly, 1/2 GPM can't be converted into steam to humidify a room, so
I'd ask if they can use less so that you don't feel bad about dumping
water down the drain.  If their usage is on the order of 100 sccm per
minute or less, you probably can live with that.

Whether DI is sufficiently corrosive to cause them problems is likely
their problem (particularly if you aren't getting the "unused" water
back) ... but I'll bet that it is.  However, the good thing about DI is
that you won't have problems with "stinky steam" as long as you avoid
bacteria growth.  Our system used to use some form of "treated water"
... and we would periodically be able to smell the steam.  Not a good
thing in a lab where you try to train people to be on the lookout for
and sensitive to funny smells.

That's at least my initial reaction and relevant experience.  I'll be
interested to hear what some of the newer facilities have done in this area.

Have a good weekend,

John