[labnetwork] HEPA Filters

Hughes, John S hughes at illinois.edu
Tue Sep 25 10:34:31 EDT 2012

Hello Philippe,

We too had our HEPA filters well beyond their expected life with no discernible loss in air quality. However, we saw that it became harder and harder for the air handlers to push the air through the filters, and the positive pressure differential in the cleanrooms relative to the surrounding corridor became less and less. I.e., the filters were still working but they were definitely getting more and more clogged up. Eventually (after 18 years) we had no choice but to replace them. It was obviously very disruptive to ongoing operations, but it couldn't be put off any longer.

Since we had to shut down for a period anyway, we took the opportunity to add VFDs to the fan motors in the air handlers, which resulted in very significant energy cost reductions.

 -- John

John S. Hughes                         Office: (217) 333-4674
Associate Director                        FAX: (217) 244-6375
Laboratory Operations                     hughes at illinois.edu<mailto:hughes at illinois.edu>
Micro and Nanotechnology Laboratory
3114 Micro and Nanotechnology Laboratory
208 North Wright Street
Urbana, Illinois  61801              http://mntl.illinois.edu

On Sep 25, 2012, at 3:22 AM, Flückiger Philippe <philippe.fluckiger at epfl.ch<mailto:philippe.fluckiger at epfl.ch>>