[labnetwork] BCL3 - Gas Line Heaters and Protocols

Tom Britton tbritton at criticalsystemsinc.com
Tue Aug 27 19:25:47 EDT 2013

Hello Dean,

I asked my Ops Manager how he dealt with BCl3 in a production Fab. He was the gas manager for ON Semi for 15 years, and has used BCl3, without issue, for most of his tenure there.

Here's what I got from him:

Chill the cylinders to 65F, remove regulators from the gas cabinet, temp control line from gas cabinet to VMB( 77 F +- 3F.) Regulators should be installed in VMB to reduce line pressure from VMB to Tool, temp from VMB to tool to around  83F+- 4F.  Basically an increase in line temp from source to point of use and a decrease in pressure this system will flow flawlessly at distances upwards of 5 to 600'.  I would recommend using 3/8" tubing from the gas cabinet to the VMB. After that it doesn't matter on size unless large amounts of BCL3 is used in process. The key factor is not using a regulator in the gas cabinet it is not necessary and will cause a heat sink. The VMB does not require temp control unless the environment its located in is below ambient.

Hope it helps.

Sincerely,

Tom Britton
Director of Sales