[labnetwork] Corrosive exhaust material of construction

Paolini, Steven spaolini at cns.fas.harvard.edu
Thu Dec 19 18:22:34 EST 2013

Iulian
  Even though we are not insured by Factory Mutual, we tend to follow most of their guidelines in that the major portion of our corrosive exhaust is Teflon lined 316L stainless steel (PSP). This material has superior corrosion resistance while maintaining its structural integrity in the unfortunate event of a duct fire. The drawbacks are the price and the fact that it cannot be modified in the field.  Some plastic  (CPVC) can be used for final transitions but it must be approved by your insurer. Our system has been in use for 6 years and has no signs of breach or corrosion even when we remove a fitting for modifications. In the last industrial semi-manufacturer that I worked at, it had been in use for over 15 years and it was still in perfect condition.  I have become aware of other newer materials that might be less expensive than PSP but I have no experience with them. Insurance companies tend to dictate these choices and it might be a good idea to consult with them since they base their recommendations (requirements) on laboratory failure analysis.
I hope you have a good budget for this!

Steve Paolini
  Equipment dood
Harvard University Center for Nanoscale Systems