[labnetwork] evaporation question

Fouad Karouta fouad.karouta at anu.edu.au
Wed Jul 3 20:07:20 EDT 2013

Hi Rick,

We do not have direct experience with Se. Se MSDS does not indicate extreme
hazard.

We had a few years ago a user who used our sputter for depositing Ga2Se3 and
GeSe2. We realised that when opening the chamber a very unpleasant smell was
present and concerns raised whether H2Se was formed but unfortunately we
couldn't detect it (maybe detector didn't have sufficient sensitivity). We
also tried to sputter Al after the Se-compound to seal it but this hasn't
worked out as smell persisted.

Besides the smell I don't know if this may cause any contamination issue to
other deposition processes. You need to investigate possible reactions of Se
with air/H2O.

It is not much but hope it helps a bit,

Fouad Karouta

Manager ANFF ACT Node

Research School of Physics and Engineering

Australian National University

ACT 0200, Canberra, Australia

Tel: + 61 2 6125 7174

Mob: + 61 451 046 412