[labnetwork] KOH Tank Design

Bill Flounders bill at eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Jul 23 20:43:27 EDT 2013

KOH bath is electro-polished stainless steel extruded (soft corners)
vessel.
Heated via an immersion heater, controlled by a PID controller.
Thermocouple and backup OT thermocouples are internal to the bath,
Type J with PFA cladding. Bath has lid, no reflux.

We sparge KOH bath with O2 to react with generated H2 and minimize
hillock formation
J. Micromech. Microeng. 9 (1999) 139--145.

Members mix their own KOH, use for period of hours, can reserve for up to
2 days, then dispose. KOH is mixed from solid source with DI so material
cost is modest compared to CMOS grade acid bath

Bill Flounders
UC Berkeley NanoLab