[labnetwork] ALD survey

Karl Hirschman kdhemc at rit.edu
Sat Mar 2 12:24:42 EST 2013

Hello Labnetwork,

We are currently searching for an ALD system that has the flexibility to meet the needs of multiple users, but is on the lower end of pricing.  I realize that these attributes are typically not well aligned, however we have limited internal funding support.  I have been exploring ALD systems offered by a number of vendors.  There are a few systems that appear to be good candidates - some are upgradable to offer enhanced capabilities, while others are not.  We are targeting a system that can accommodate up to 6-inch substrates, and is in the < $200K price range.  Initial films of interest are Al2O3, HfO2 and ZnO. however we expect interest in other applications.

I have been searching websites, and I have found several of these systems placed in university labs.  I would like to ask these universities for their opinion of the system they have, and some of the details that went into their decision on the system they have over the other systems in the market.  If there is a survey available for these systems, perhaps prepared for a proposal, this would be especially useful.

Thanks for the help!

Dr. Karl D. Hirschman, Micron Professor
Electrical and Microelectronic Engineering Department
Director, Semiconductor & Microsystems Fabrication Laboratory
Rochester Institute of Technology
82 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester, NY  14623-5604
PH: 585-475-5130