[labnetwork] Titanium hazard

Bernard Alamariu bernard at mtl.mit.edu
Tue May 7 13:40:57 EDT 2013

Hello,

The Titanium is a chemical active element used in high vacuum Ion Getter
Pumps; it could accumulate
a high volume of gas, which by a sudden expansion could generate the
necessary flame temperature
for some gases.
The scraped material from the e-beam walls could have contained in
addition to Ti some other highly
oxidizing elements like Al, Cr ( actually they were used in Napalm
fabrication) and also Pt which coverts
the molecular H2 into atomic Hydrogen ( with low temperature ignition
point), etc
I think the flame is triggered by a such thermodynamic/ chemical
process; not by static electricity, as
it happened in a metal garbage can, too.
Thanks, Bernard