[labnetwork] Titanium hazard

Pramod C Karulkar pkarulkar9 at gmail.com
Tue May 7 19:35:07 EDT 2013

Fine particles of titanium ignite very easily. Aluminum  and many other
metal particles do the same but little less vigorously. Vacuum chamber
surfaces coated with titanium oxidize rapidly giving rise to "popping"
sound if the vacuum system is opened in room air immediately after
deposition.  That is why Ti deposition SOPs require a delay in opening
the chamber to room air after venting it using N2.  Cleaning vacuum
system that is used for Ti deposition creates hazardous situation,
particularly if  very powdery matter is present.

Speculation on what happened:  (1) Static electricity could be a culprit
but then the ignition would occur during other non-titanium cleaning
operations at other similar fab stations.  (2) Wipes heavily soaked in
isopropyl alcohol and the waste basket overwhelmed with alcohol vapor
might have denied titanium particles access to oxygen. This is OK as
long as the wipes with Ti particles sit in the basket and slowly
dry/oxidize.   Turbulence created by dropping more wipes in the basket
might have brought some dry fine particles of titanium in contact with
oxygen in the turbulence resulting in ignition.

Allowing  system surfaces to oxidize slowly for an extended time may
reduce chances of this happening again.    Typically this is what you
would do: Vent the chamber using dry nitrogen at the end of the day but
DO NOT EXPOSE IT TO ROOM AIR.  Thus, do not raise the bell jar chamber
or open the chamber door/window that opens to room air. Allow the system
to remain at atmospheric pressure overnight. Residual oxygen in the
chamber will oxidize titanium deposits slowly.  Chamber can be wiped
next day using IPA/Water mixture and vacuumed.  Some extra pumping,
baking, pre-coating may be required to attain previous levels of vacuum
when the system is reused for processes.

Allow an old fashioned chamber to "wait" similarly at atmospheric
pressure before cleaning  if opening  it to air immediately after
deposition  is necessary to  take out the samples/wafers.

You may consider using thin aluminum foil shields if possible that
minimize need for cleaning the particle matter.  Some change in cleaning
interval protocol (cleaning more often) may be needed to avoid build up
of excess loose titanium.   Exposing the chamber to residual oxygen in
between deposition runs might help to reduce the formation of atomically
clean  Ti particles.

Hope this helps.
Pramod

Pramod C Karulkar Ph. D.
Home 2*5*3* 3*0*3 0*4*1*8
6024 33rd Street Ct NW
Gig Harbor WA 98335

On 5/6/2013 6:49 AM, Morrison, Richard H., Jr. wrote