[labnetwork] After-hours work in cleanroom and laboratories

George P. Watson gwatson at Princeton.EDU
Thu Nov 21 09:05:30 EST 2013

Hi John,

Like many others that have replied, we are open 24/7.  After business hours we hire undergraduates to act as monitors during the weekday evenings from 5pm to 8 or 9 pm.  It's hard to get complete coverage because of our undergrads' schedules.

Undergraduate users may only use the lab during business hours;  Grad students and post-docs, etc. may use the lab at any time.

When a monitor is not there, we have a two-tiered system.  For any hood work (except in Lithography), a buddy must be in the room with the user.  If hoods are not used, then we have each cleanroom user make sure that another qualified user in or out of the lab is in contact with them every half hour.  In practice, many students use the lab at night in small groups, so they have a buddy at all times.

Like many other labs, we have to trust our students to do the right thing, and so far we think this has worked well.

Pat

George Patrick Watson (Pat), Ph.D.
Director of Operations
PRISM Micro/Nano Fabrication Laboratory