[labnetwork] Update on CDA in lieu of N2 purging of drypumps

Bob Hamilton roberthamilton at berkeley.edu
Wed Oct 2 18:55:09 EDT 2013

Iulian,

I was dragged kicking and screaming to dry pumps because of their high
cost. A lot of early dry pumps had reliability issues. In the UC
Berkeley Microlab we settled on the Edwards DP series eventually moving
to later series such as the QDP, then iQDP and iH series. We have a few
other brands that we consider reliable, i.e Ebara and Kashiyama. Both
have been good. The Kashiyama has thus far, three year's on, been
flawless. We are about to test a new pump from Hanbell.

Mostly standardizing on a single pump manufacturer gave us the advantage
that when we replace pumps we have a standard form-factor. This means
our manifold connections match as well as the pump/tool electrical
interface.

My experience with wet pumps is mostly good. Here are some some ideas.

For hivac systems and load locks: backstreaming is not too much of an
issue when backing a cryo or turbo pump as long as roughing and
crossover pressures stay above 50 mTorr (a running turbo rejects oil
passing through it). Having said this, accidents can happen and
contamination can be an issue. I see no advantage to using Fomblin or a
perfluorinated oil for this type  of pumping with one exception. "White
oil", a high grade hydrocarbon oil, will deposit in the fume exhaust of
a lab. From experience, this oil load is a fuel source and fire hazard.
Fomblin is not flammable; however, it has the disadvantage of high cost
and in an e-beam system its decomposition products are dielectric which
can bias an e-beam and have bad effects.

For etch: not many issues with etch pumps and Freon etching, at least in
the volume of etching done in a university fab. However, I would not use
a wetpump with acid gases, even with Fomblin. This is one place dry
pumps excel. Wetpumps pumping acids will fail at the shaft seals.

For lpcvd and pecvd: we got away with wet pump using oil filtration
units and changing the oil filters after "x" number of hours. Moving to
Fomblin on low-stress nitride was tried and not a success. The sight
glass showed a snow-storm inside the oil. with this process. Given
pyrophoric are being pumped the already stated flammable
hydrocarbons/lab's fume exhaust load fire is of serious concern.

Our dry pumps get rebuilt several times. They seem to last as long as
new ones as long as the vendor doing the work knows their stuff.

We routinely buy rebuilt pumps and if cheap enough used pumps and have
them rebuilt.  Our cost of rebuild is typically in the $4k-5k range
depending on the size and vintage of the pump. The more modern dry pumps
have better, in-board bearing systems, better coatings and better
service life. Having said this, given the harsh conditions of a fab, I
would not want to reincarnate as as dry pump.

Regards,
Bob Hamilton

bob at eecs.berkeley.edu
Phone: 510-809-8600