[labnetwork] Diborane stability

Bob Hamilton roberthamilton at berkeley.edu
Mon Sep 23 14:13:22 EDT 2013

Savitha,

The mix of diborane and Ar will not be as stable as B2H6 in H2 and
higher order boranes will form faster. I regret I cannot share
experience with such a mix. Voltaix, a manufacturer of hydride gases may
be able to offer guidance:
http://www.voltaix.com/

Having said this you may want to look at other possible issues. Mass
flow controller have a a heated bypass sensor and this capillary bypass
is subject to blockage if diborane is left within the mfc at the
termination of a process. For this reason, when we used diborane we used
an in and out isolation valve. We'd close the supply and then pump out
the mfc so there was virtually no B2H6 in the mfc at idle.

At the UC Berkeley NanoLab we are not currently using diborane as a
dopant having obviated it for 1% BCl3/bal He in our LPCVD processes. We
may be using it again in our epi process. The carrier gas in that case
will be H2.

Regards,
Bob Hamilton

--