[labnetwork] Problems with ALD system

David Frankel frankel at maine.edu
Fri Apr 18 13:25:14 EDT 2014

We have an Oxford Opal ALD system we use primarily for Al2O3 deposition
using TMA. It is a thermal system, no plasma.  It is pumped by a rotary
vane pump with a synthetic di-ester oil (A155), same as originally
supplied by Oxford. There is no trap between the pump and chamber. We
are having problems getting consistent good film quality.  We often see
films with poor quality, micron-sized pin holes etc...  We think the
problem may be related to contamination of the chamber with
back-streaming pump oil as we often find considerable quantities of oil
in the chamber.
Some questions:
1) The A155 oil has a fairly high vapor pressure, is there a lower vapor
pressure oil you can suggest that would stand up to the process gas that
would work with our present pump?  (switching to a dry pump is cost
prohibitive at this time, switching to Fomblin may be possible but would
also presumably be expensive as it may require a pump rebuild or exchange)
2) Can a molecular sieve trap be added in the fore-line without creating
any further problems?  If so, can a standard one be used or must it have
some special features (high conductance...)?  Are there other types of
traps that would work in this application?
3) With a trap in the line what safety measures are needed, for instance
when venting to air?
4) Are there other issues that could be causing poor film quality?

Thanks for your help on this,
David

--
David J. Frankel - Senior Research Scientist
LASST - University of Maine
frankel at maine.edu