[labnetwork] Piranha Bath Alternatives or Substitutes

Bernard Alamariu bernard at mtl.mit.edu
Thu Dec 4 19:05:41 EST 2014

Hello,

Nanostrip cannot replace Piranha for overall semiconductor substrate
cleaning.
Nonostrip DOES NOT clean METALS!

Pirnha 3:1 H2SO4:H2O2 is a strong acid , cleaning solution for BOTH
METAL & ORGANIC
contaminants, with an intense hot surfactant action too.
It was the cleaning "workhorse" of the semiconductor industry for decades.
It was replaced by RCA clean for some applications and still used on
large scale; actually
the RCA Qurtzware and Teflonware are clened by Pirnaha too.

Nanostrip could be used for Photoresist or other organic materials
removal indeed, but that is all.

There is a false impression that Nanostrip is somehow a weak Piranha; it
is not as its reaction with
metals is inhibited. It does not even compare with the well known Caro
etch, which is a weak
Pirnaha ( 1:3) used in the past to final clean the Al pads before sinter
( before the Asher was inveneted), etc.

Thanks, Bernard