[labnetwork] Instrument Relocation During Warranty Period - Best Way

mark crain mcrain3 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 09:40:39 EST 2014

Hi Tang,

Some of these initial comments may seem obvious but I wanted to keep them
in the list.

   1.

    Look at the manuals for the equipment and review the installation
   section.  This will give you an idea of what needs to be done to package
   the equipment for moving.  Many times there are “locking blocks” or
   small regions that need to be bolted together for transit.  You may
   still have the parts.  I have walked in to labs that have had equipment
   for many years and the shipping tooling is still on the floor next to the
   equipment.
   2.

   Take into consideration any chemical contamination that the equipment
   may have encountered during use.  Some pieces of equipment require
   considerable care after chemical contamination.  Vacuum systems of
   deposition and etch systems come to mind.  My priorities are safety for
   people first and safety for property second.
   3.

   Recall what parts of your equipment require the most maintenance.  What
   do you never what to need to fix again?... take good care of it.
   4.

   Label all connectors, cables,, hoses etc.  It all seems obvious while
   taking the system down but you may forget.  Photos and excel sheets are
   very useful.   I did this for an STS DRIE a few years ago and I have no
   regrets.
   5.

   Decommission and re-commission only one or two pieces of equipment at a
   time if possible.  We got better with each piece moved.  It also boosts
   your confidence as you continue.  The time required for the move of each
   piece of equipment drops quickly.
   6.

   Ask for help.  You are already doing this with your post, but you may
   consider contacting the equipment suppliers and asking them for advice.  You
   have some good equipment listed from good companies, you are their customer
   and they do want you to be happy.
   7.

   I would think that you would want to test every feature of the
   warrantied equipment before moving it and have your warrantied maintenance
   visit just before the move.  You can then test all of the features again
   after the move.  I am not sure, but if you only have your maintenance
   visit after the move and there is something not working, will they still
   want to fix it as part of the warranty?  If you find something isn’t
   right before you move the equipment, they must fix it as part of the
   warranty.  You are also likely to get some friendly advice on moving the
   equipment from the service personnel during their visit.

I had managed the University of Louisville cleanroom as we moved from a
1,000 sq ft facility to a 7,500 sq ft facility. These are only my initial
thoughts on your "Any advice?" part of the question.

Best Regards

Mark

Mark Crain
University of Louisville