[labnetwork] Piranha & HF no rinse protocols

Luciani, Vincent Vincent.Luciani at nist.gov
Thu Feb 27 09:31:35 EST 2014

Hello Errol,

I could be wrong but I have never heard of, or would recommend skipping, the water rinse between the piranha and the 10:1 HF dip.

Skipping the water rinse after the final HF dip is a technique I and may other have used for very special applications.  It is a trick used by some epi growers to get their wafers into an inert environment without growing a native oxide.  However, as others have alluded, the technique requires special handling and training to maintain safety throughout the process.  Even though the wafer will de-wet and look dry, it can burn you, etch glass, emit HF vapor fumes etc.

Bottom line:  There are special cases where this technique may be applicable but you must be prepared.  I would not let anyone in our lab do this unless they can demonstrate to me the need for it and the experience to do it safely.

Good Luck,
Vince

Vincent K. Luciani
NanoFab Manager