[labnetwork] Providing User Lab Supplies and Storage Space

Bill Flounders bill at eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Jan 24 14:34:09 EST 2014

All,
1. We provide the usual stuff (tweezers, notebooks, wafers etc)
and a lot more (chip carriers, wafer dippers etc etc.)
Our stock room provides over 150 items at fully loaded cost
(shipping and receiving plus state and local tax) plus 5%.
Our annual inventory valuation is approx $140,000.
This does not include stock chemicals used at wet benches
and resists and developers whose cost is built into equipment
charge rates.

2. We provide one drawer or 'cubby' per researcher (~1.5' x 1.5' x1.5' cube)
We track who is in each space, purge regularly (Operation Clean Sweep)
and suspend if any hazardous chemicals found in storage. No storage fees.
Modest rental fee for storage is creative and a good incentive.

3. The University of California pays all local (1.25%) and state (8%)
taxes (9.25% total)
on all purchases including capital equipment. I have never understood
why the state taxes its state universities. State support to the
University of CA is less than 15% of operations. I question if the
University now
generates more ue tax to the State of CA than it receives in state support.

Bill Flounders
Berkeley NanoLab