[labnetwork] Interlock Boxes

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Fri Jul 11 17:42:33 EDT 2014

Shiva:

Let me take a crack at answering some of your questions.

First, I doubt that you need to design an interlock ... there a plenty
of options to just by them.

Most systems with which I am familiar (but not all ...) allow/require
you to enable an interlock on a piece of equipment from the same system
on which reservations are made.  Most of those systems are logged into
with an old fashioned user name and password.  But there are lots of
variations:  Gary Spinner may correct me, but, as I recall, Georgia Tech
has a card reader on each piece of equipment that reads the university
ID card and turns on the equipment if the person is authorized to use
that tool.  Thee are probably other card-reader per tool installations
as well.

Whether you use lab-specific or campus-wide ID for authentication likely
depends on your campus infrastructure.  A number of campuses have and
use central authentication using LDAP or Kerberos with the campus ID.
Even with that, however, you still likely need to get information from
your in-lab system to determine equipment qualifications, special
privileges, etc.  Of course, for that to work, the in-lab name/ID has to
match the campus-wide name/ID.

The problem of "tailgating" (3 or 4 people entering on a single card
swipe) is a common problem for most access systems.  I have no direct
experience with the long-range RFID units that should, in principle,
read a card as you walk though the door and should greatly reduce that
problem.

Good luck,

John