[labnetwork] Benchmarking Survey

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Fri Jul 25 17:07:16 EDT 2014

Thomas:

I certainly agree with Dennis' cautions about trying to get a good
apples-apples comparison and I recall how hard he and his team worked to
do his UGIM benchmarking study of a few years ago. However, I think that
one of the most important questions on your list is the one titled
"subsidy".  I believe that virtually all of us get some form of subsidy
from our institutions.  As the same time, I believe that a number of us
are frequently under pressure to reduce that subsidy based on what I
believe to be a common misconception that a number of other labs
breakeven with little-to-no subsidy.

I certainly believe that one of the benefits of such a survey would be
to get a better understanding of the range and magnitude of subsidy that
various labs receive.  In particular, my belief is that smaller labs
require a more significant subsidy, percentage-wise, in order to make
ends meet ... but that's only a hunch and not based on real data.
Capturing good information about subsidies is made harder, I believe, by
the fact that many subsidies are not in the form of a "direct payment"
in the way that user fees are, but often take the form of things that
ultimately show up on someone else's expenditure statement and, as a
result, are more easily overlooked.

All that aside, I'd be happy to help in any way that I can.

Have a good weekend,

John