[labnetwork] Anhydrous HCl after it escapes ...

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Thu Jun 5 15:08:58 EDT 2014

Labnetwork Community:

Sooner or later, it seems, anhydrous hydrogen chloride (or a number of
equally corrosive materials) is going to escape.  At least that is our
experience at the Stanford Nanofabrication Facility.  Despite our best
efforts to use quality components, do proper leak checking, etc., it
seems as if we end up with a leak either in a gas cabinet or in a tool
near a mass flow controller.  At that point, anything near the site of
the original leak has been covered with now moisture-laden hydrogen
chloride ... which, I believe, is far more corrosive than the original
anhydrous material.

For those of you who have encountered similar situations, how do you
recover or what to you replace?  Do you have effective means of
neutralizing those metal surfaces?  Do your replace VCR gaskets with
thicker-than-normal or grooved "super gaskets"?  Do you replace the
entire assembly?  Do you leak check, put back in service, and pray?

Thanks for sharing your experience and insights,

John