[labnetwork] Anhydrous HCl after it escapes ...

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Tue Jun 10 16:19:55 EDT 2014

Labnetwork Community:

First, I'd like to thank Chung Wing Leong, Dennis Grimard, Craig Cheney,
Tom Britton and John Weaver for taking the time to respond to my query.
I appreciate your collective expertise and input and am taking a number
of things you suggested under careful consideration as we move forward.

In the meantime, we have learned a bit more about this leak and I
thought that I would share with you a bit more about what we have learned:

First, the leak seems to have occurred at the joint between the valve
body and the tube stub ... not, as we had originally feared and
suspected at one of the VCR connection points.  Nor did it occur at one
of the orbital welds between the tube stub on the valve and a VCR gland.
To me it is unusual to see a leak at that point in a valve ...
particularly one that has not been in service very long.

Second, this failure occurred downstream (on the tool side) of the
pneumatically-controlled, low-pressure outlet valve on the panel.
Certainly on our panel, and in most auto-purge panels of this type, this
valve is typically closed during bottle changes and similar leak
checking activities.  To be candid, this has been a bit of a blind spot
for me:  while I told you that we leak check the panel each time that we
change a cylinder (which is true), now that I think about it more
carefully, we don't have a mechanism for leak checking anything on the
downstream side of this valve on a regular basis.

In fact what we normally leak check is that portion of the panel that is
upstream of the pneumatically-controlled, low-pressure outlet valve.
Since this is a manifolded cabinet that has two bottles feeding a single
output line, there are actually a number of potential failure points
that we do not regularly check that includes the output side of each
pneumatically-controlled output valve, the manual quarter-turn valve in
series with and downstream from the pneumatically-controlled output
valve and the fittings associated with the tee in the manifold.  As this
cabinet has not been service for an extended period of time, those
downstream fittings have likely been checked only twice:  once by the
cabinet manufacturer at their facility and once by us during the cabinet
install.  While our cabinet was helium leak checked and certified by a
third-party to be less than 10^-9 SCCM leakage, is there a chance that
we missed something then?  I'm certainly wondering ...

My guess is that I am not alone in having thought that we leak check the
entire panel and all fittings each time we change a gas cylinder ...
whereas there are likely several fittings and connection points that are
not actually checked each time.  I will certainly think about this in a
new light ...

Thanks,

John