[labnetwork] Question regarding Headphones / Earphones use

Hughes, John S hughes at illinois.edu
Mon Mar 3 16:25:58 EST 2014

Hi Guy,

Here's the mass mail I sent out to all our cleanroom users not too long ago. We do allow cell phones, but not as music listening devices.

Best regards,
John

Notice: The Use of Headphones While Working in the MNTL Cleanrooms is Prohibited

Hello MNTL cleanroom users,

At the most recent Cleanroom Operations and Safety Committee meeting, a number of people mentioned that they had safety concerns about people using headphones while working in the MNTL cleanrooms.

A number of instances were cited where researchers had difficulty communicating with someone else who was using headphones. On at least one occasion, someone using headphones committed a serious equipment operation error, but the person who made the mistake was totally unaware of it, despite the fact that there were very clear audible indications that there was a major problem.

As we all know, many of the fabrication processes being performed in the cleanrooms involve hazardous chemicals and/or equipment. It is vitally important that researchers minimize as much as possible any distractions that might occur while working in this environment.

Thank you for your cooperation.

John S. Hughes                         Office: (217) 333-4674
Associate Director                        FAX: (217) 244-6375
Laboratory Operations                     hughes at illinois.edu<mailto:hughes at illinois.edu>
Micro and Nanotechnology Laboratory
2000E Micro and Nanotechnology Laboratory
208 North Wright Street
Urbana, Illinois  61801              http://mntl.illinois.edu