[labnetwork] Question regarding Headphones / Earphones use

Tony L Olsen tony.olsen at utah.edu
Tue Mar 4 11:03:32 EST 2014

We recently updated our safety protocols, too, and this issue deserved some attention.  We found it difficult to prohibit the use of cell phones in the lab - even Staff uses them for work-related issues.  Our initial effort was to forbid all headphones and earbuds.  We did allow a single-ear Bluetooth device for the purpose of cell phone usage.  However, within weeks of this change, I had multiple users express their dislike for Bluetooth devices.  So, it seemed prudent to allow a single earbud as another option for cell phone usage.  The unused earbud must be inside the bunnysuit.  We specifically forbid listening to music, although it is impossible to monitor and enforce.  Regardless, there is still one ear free for conversation and communication needs.

tonyO

Tony Olsen
Nanofab Cleanroom Supervisor/Process Engineer
University of Utah
36 S Wasatch Dr, Suite 2500 SMBB
Salt Lake City,  UT  84112
801-587-0651 office