[labnetwork] Paging system

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Tue Oct 28 10:47:40 EDT 2014

Iulian:

I've dug up our Sound Level Meter (the best that Radio Shack has to
offer ...) and have made a few measurements to provide you with some
example numbers.  Note: my measurements were made using the dB(C)
frequency compensation ... although I will give you a couple of
references using dB(A) frequency compensation.

In general, clean rooms are pretty noisy.  Just the noise of the air
handling equipment can be significant.  In fact, about 3 years ago we
dropped our mean vertical air velocity from about 90 to about 70 feet
per minute.  At the time, everyone commented on the fact that it was
quieter in the clean room.  That said, even with lower air velocities, I
could only find one area of our lab that had a reading of less that 60
dB(C).  That was the room in which our Raith 150 ebeam tool is located
and it registered 53-55 db(C).
The next two quietest rooms were an in-process measurement room (AFM and
friends) coming in at about 60 db(C) and our gowning room at 61-62 db(C)
and there is essentially no noisy equipment in either of those rooms.

Most areas of the lab with "real" process equipment in them registered
in the range of 69-72 dB(C).  Note: most, but not all, of our pumps
actually live in the sub-fab.  However, there are enough in-tool and
near-tool pumps, fans, and other noise generators to increase sound
levels significantly.

The two loudest areas of our lab are near a bank of LPCVD tubes that
have their pumps in the cabinet, rather than in the sub-fab.  There we
measured sound levels of 79-80 db(C).  Even though the pumps for our
AMAT Centura epi reactor are in the sub-fab, sound level readings near
that tool are about 74-76 dB(C).

Note:  our sub-fab is quite noisy with peak readings of about 86 dB(C)
near the big scrubbers with average readings down there of about 82-83
dB(C).

In areas dominated by equipment noise (which is most places in the clean
room) and certainly in the sub-fab, I found that dB(A) readings were
only about 2 dB lower than db(C) readings due to the fact, I suspect,
that the noise of pumps and motors is dominated by higher-frequency
components.  In an area with less equipment noise, however, I found that
dB(A) readings were about 5 dB lower that the dB(C) reading at that
location.

While I expect that there is significant variation from lab to lab in
these numbers with, I suspect, newer labs being somewhat quieter, I
think that it is reasonable to design for an average background sound
level of about 70  dB(C) with some areas closer to equipment probably
reaching as high as 80 dB(C).

As a bit of corroborating evidence, I believe that the folks who had
tried to do various forms of video training and collaboration have found
that using headphones and a microphone produce more understandable
communication than relying on "field microphones".

Finally, we clearly did not spend much on our "sound level
instrumentation package" ... in fact, while I haven't compared
performance, I think that there are a collection of free apps for smart
phones that are probably just as suitable for spot checks.

Let me know if you have any further questions,

John