[labnetwork] burn box location

Tom Britton tbritton at criticalsystemsinc.com
Tue Sep 30 11:41:38 EDT 2014

Hello Iulian,

John Shott was spot on with his assessment. Proper procedures keep both particles out of the cleanroom and your technicians safe. I sent this email to Todd Erickson, who is the product manager of our Gas Abatement Products division. I think you met him at the UGIM conference this past June.

He responded as follows:

"Most of the applications we see for the Guardian type burn boxes are installed in the chase or sub-fab area of the cleanroom. While the burn box is running there is no particle adders to the cleanroom because the tool is exhausted and the particles are enclosed in the burn box with some drag-out into the duct work. Cleaning the system while doing the PM is another situation that can be handled by proper procedures. Capping any parts immediately after removal helps immensely but also using a vacuum with a HEPA filter would be beneficial. Iulian, as with any process, it is imperative that the application be specified and matched with a certain type and size of POU scrubber. If a burn box is specified it must see only flammable gases like CO, H2, SiH4 and  Hydrogencarbons."

CSI supplies and services several different types of burn boxes, so we are well versed in how to effectively run and maintain these. If you have any questions, we have our Abatement Division sales manager (Gene Ungvarsky, formerly with CS Clean) in Boston that I can put you in touch with, or you can post them here and we'll answer them accordingly.

Thank you!

Tom

Tom Britton
Director of Sales