[labnetwork] LED lighting in cleanrooms/ litho

Gregory Cibuzar cibuzar at umn.edu
Thu Apr 23 12:23:42 EDT 2015

A few years ago we replaced 630 40 watt T12 florescent lamps in our
cleanroom with 20 watt T8 LED lamps from Phillips.  The T12 lamps had to go
since they were being phased out of production.  We looked at moving to T8
fluorescents, but that would have required considerable rewiring to replace
all the remote ballasts that worked with the T12 lamps but would not work
with the T8 lamps.  Our local energy company had a rebate program for LED
lighting, and that combined with the energy savings convinced our energy
management department to fund the replacement.  The LED lamps did not
require a ballast, only some minor rewiring to route line voltage to the
fixtures.  It took a few electricians 3-4 days to do the work, but in the
end it worked out pretty well.  After 3 years we have not lost a lamp.  The
energy management team told me together with the occupancy sensors that
were also added we were saving around $13K/yr in energy costs.

Here is a link to the LED lamps we used:
http://www.lighting.philips.com/pwc_li/us_en/connect/tools_literature/downloads/p-6206.pdf

Before we agreed to this change, we investigated the resist exposure
issue.  Our T12 lamps had the yellow sleeves, but we did not want to go
with these sleeves on the LED T8 lamps due to concerns that the lamp temp
would rise too high and reduce the lifetime.  Instead we ended up buying
some UV filtering film (we tested several for resist exposure) and manually
cutting pieces to snugly fit inside the plastic housing surrounding the
lamp (we have the old "teardrop" style lights in that cleanroom).  That was
a pain to do, but in the end it worked pretty well.

Contact me directly if you need more details.

Regards,
Greg

Greg Cibuzar
Manager, Minnesota Nano Center