[labnetwork] Conductivity Standard Solution

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Mon Feb 2 12:59:50 EST 2015

Kamal:

OK, I understand that you do not have a circulating system.  I suspect
that this is a "once through" system where water goes through a certain
number of polishing beds, UV, and final filters before heading directly
to your DI taps.  I've run systems of that type.

I personally don't think that calibration of your resistivity monitors
is the thing that you should worry about. Even if your conductivity
measures 0.04 uS/cm ... which, yes, is technically impossible because at
room temperature water can be no less than 0.055 uS/cm ... that is
indicative of high-resistivity water.  If the conductivity increased to
0.08 uS/cm, however, then you know that something has changed.

I would suggest that you try to get the appropriate adapter in your
supply line so that you can install a permanent mounting point for your
resistivity monitor.  In that way, you can look at your conductivity any
time that you are flowing water.  You can also answer the question in a
once through system: how long after I begin flowing water, does the
conductivity fall to the point that I am getting good resistivity
water.  Most importantly, if you normally see a conductivity of 0.04
uS/cm, and it increases to 0.08 uS/cm, for example, you know that
something has changed.  That might be indicative, for example, that it
is time to change your resin beds.

While absolute calibration is nice, with all due respect to my friends
at NIST, not all instruments need to be fully calibrated to provide
useful diagnostic information.  I believe that this may be one of those
cases where being able to detect a change in conductivity may be more
important than the absolute accuracy of the conductivity measurement.

Good luck,

John