[labnetwork] Park AFM impressions?

Tobias Beetz tobi at stanford.edu
Sun Feb 8 01:26:53 EST 2015

Hi Bryan - We have an NX-10 installed in our facility.  We also have the
XE-70 and the XE-100. Both of the XE systems have seen a lot of usage and
are really solid easy to use instruments.  Our user base on the NX-10 is
much smaller but this is mainly due to our decision to not provide another
general purpose AFM but rather try to cater more to the bio/medical
community.  We have set up the NX-10 to be used mainly with the liquid
cell. While we got some good results in that area, we are just now
starting to open up the tool to all of our users.  Comparing the workhorse
XE series to the NX, it is clear that they have put some good work into
the new tool.  The design and performance is really solid and the noise
level seems to be even better than on the XEs.  They just came out with
their new software (Smartscan) and while I heard that it is supposed to be
very user friendly, we have not gotten the upgrade yet.  There was some
concern from our lab manager that the software is 'too' smart and that
some parameters need to be adjusted to get best performance.  Our hardware
would also need to be modified in order to get the new software, so we
have not done the upgrade yet.

Cheers,

Tobi

Tobias Beetz, Ph.D.
Associate Director, Stanford Nano Shared Facilities, Stanford University
348 Via Pueblo, Spilker Building, Room 105, Stanford, CA 94305-4088, (m)
650-644-9541

http://snsf.stanford.edu