[labnetwork] Silane quantity

Mac Hathaway hathaway at cns.fas.harvard.edu
Thu Jan 8 11:00:13 EST 2015

Hey All,

Here at Harvard CNS, we've got two bottles on line, each in a "normal"
9x51 inch cylinder.  One is 100% SiH4, 6x9's purity, 26 lbs when new
(not sure the number of cubic feet).  The other is 3% SiH4 in Argon, 211
c.f.

These have both been on line for the last 7 years or so, and probably
have a few more years left on them.  We have generally treated
expiration dates as more a marketing thing than a technical issue.  It
would be interesting to hear of any experiences folks have had with gas
expiration issues.  We have debated going to smaller bottles for these,
but the risk balance seems to be favor large bottles and fewer changes.

We did reduce our bottle sizes on some other materials due to Homeland
Security concerns...

Mac

Mac Hathaway

Senior Process and Systems Engineer