[labnetwork] Ni evaporation

Beth Fuchs bfuchs at chtm.unm.edu
Mon Mar 23 11:10:24 EDT 2015

For quite some time we used vitreous carbon and found that the crucible
will crack unless the beam current is ramped up and down VERY slowly (I
think we ramp at about 2mA/min compared to 25mA/min for other metals).
We finally dedicated a pocket in our indexer for Ni without a crucible
liner and have had no problems since. The Ni does not adhere to the
copper hearth so we can remove it easily for cleaning.
Beth