[labnetwork] LN2 vs N2 generation on site

Morrison, Richard H., Jr. rmorrison at draper.com
Fri Mar 27 14:08:13 EDT 2015

Hi Everyone,

I would like to share with you some details. We have 2 3000 gallon tanks. Tank one feeds the Microfabrication Laboratory and is filled every other day. The 2nd tank feeds 3 different labs, Assembly, MCM and 5th Floor and is filled every 4th day, this systems is all SS from the tank to point if use. We do not use purifiers so I expect that even though the LN2 is 99.999% I have something less at the point of use.

The Microfab is mostly dry boxes, N2 guns, purge for pumps, purge for 3 furnace tubes (oxidation) and 3 LPCVD system, poly, nitride and SiC. We run all dry pumps and have not had any problems using this gas stream. We shut of the SRD at night and weekend to save gas but I am still at a high flow. From the tank to the Microfab loop is all SS, the Microfab loop is  oxygen free EP Copper silver soldered.

Microfab runs 23 cuft to 34cuft/min  (SRD dependant)
MCM runs 3-6 cuft/min  depending on tools usage
Assembly 1-16 cuft/min depending on tool usage
5th Floor 1-5 cuft/min depending on tool usage

The MCM, Assembly and 5th floor need oxygen free Nitrogen with no moisture;  so my guess here 99.99% Nitrogen or 99.9%?
The Microfabrication should be 99.99% or does it need 99.999%. We have never had our existing system analyzed, any ideas here?

[cid:image002.png at 01D06897.7677FDB0]

[cid:image004.png at 01D06897.7677FDB0]

Thanks for your comments so far and I looked forward to more discussion. BTW after fees and surcharges I pay $1.23 per 100cuft and I use 1.45million cuft per month (data from flow meters). The company delivers the equivalent of 2.6million cuft so I lose to evaporation and cooling 1million cuft per month, does this sound right or do I have a big leak some place?

Rick